Tuesday, October 31, 2006

 

Tenn-Tom Waterway – Columbus, MS to Demopolis, AL



October 30-31, 2006: Internet access hasn’t always been available, but we’re happy to be online in Demopolis, AL. We had a lock full of Loopers when we went through Heflin Lock right outside of Columbus. A mini-flotilla of six boats then rolled on down the river until around 2:30 p.m. when we all found anchorages for the evening. Because it’s getting a bit crowded, it’s best to claim a spot fairly early in the afternoon. We rafted up with Happy Destiny, took a dinghy ride, and enjoyed being in a beautiful, protected little nook called Sumter Landing (Mile 270.6)somewhere in South Alabama. That was yesterday (Monday). This morning we were up at the crack of dawn, were thrilled to see a gorgeous sunrise, then continued on down the Tenn-Tom. Somewhere along the way, it has become much more like a river than a ditch. One cool sight has been the tall white cliffs along the side. Don’t know what they are made of, but it’s an interesting sight. I’ve taken lots of pictures, but they require more time than I’ve had to upload. I’m waiting for a rainy day to do that.

I did a lot of the driving today, and am feeling pretty comfortable with it. Maybe I’ll get my nerve up to dock eventually. Naaaaah! Now we are at the marina in Demopolis (Mile 216.1), rafted off to Happy Destiny, which is rafted to an old work boat at the end of a dock. Being the graceful person that I am, everyone is concerned that I will break my neck when getting off our boat and crawling over those others. I hope our insurance is good!

Comments:
Ohmnygosh, we FORGOT the Noodle Suit! Now I am really insecure. I'll put it on my Christmas list!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?