Saturday, January 27, 2007

 

A Day with Mother Nature: Roseate Spoonbills and Snowy Egrets



























Saturday, January 27, in Sanibel, FL. The "Ding" Darling Wildlife Refuge here on Sanibel Island (barrier island outside of Ft. Meyers) provided quite a show for us today. Jim, Martha, Bob, and I enjoyed watching a whole bunch of gorgeous birds, including seeing a Roseate Spoonbill rookery fairly close up. These incredibly beautiful birds have pink, rose, and white markings. Snowy egrets, white herons, white pelicans and other coastal birds thoroughly entertained us too.

It took us almost three hours to drive through the four-mile road through the refuge because so many attractions called our names. Hurricane Charlie devastated this area only a few years ago, but lush palms and mangroves have
already healed most of the damage. We also saw several Gumbo Limbo trees, called "Tourist Trees" because their reddish bark looks sort of liked sunburned skin. We also saw a bunch of bromeliads in the wild, rather than in a nursery as we usually see them.

Lunch at Cheeburger, Cheeburger, then a nap, then a quick ride to the lighthouse. Ahhh, life is good.

Comments:
My goodness, you have been busy. I can't believe all the stuff y'all have seen since Christmas. I love all the photos. The sunsets are especially incredible. I really do like the maps. I hope y'all have a great time with the Birmingham Staggs. Ooh, I have been learning html, so here is my chance to show it off. Check this out: I can make things bold or italicized. Anne can make things pretty (Anne's website).
 
Scott, pretty cool that you can do bold and italics. I'm getting ready to look at Anne's site now.

Suz, I sure hope the shirtsleeves can come out by the time you get here. Tonight and tomorrow are supposed to be the coldest days this part of Florida has had in a long time. But it will get warmer after that.

Both, we had to delay leaving this morning, so we didn't make it to Everglade City. We are in another blace called Goodland. Still plan to anhor out tomorrow night.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?