Sunday, March 28, 2010

 

Fairwell to Fairhope--and Salt Water

Saturday-Sunday, March 27-28
I'm posting this quickly on Sunday morning as we make our way across Mobile Bay, where we will pick up the Tenn-Tom Waterway. We had a wonderful visit with Terry and Herb, long-time friends from home on Friday night. Dinner at the Live Bait restaurant, part of The Wharf Marina Resort complex. Where was my camera? I don't know! I had taken a picture of the ferris wheel and shops earlier in the day, but I simply forgot to take a photo at Live Bait. The meal was quite delicious and the entertainment, excellent -- both the live combo and the conversation with friends. Mother Nature nudged us Saturday morning to continue heading home. A weather system was on its way, and we needed to get to Fairhope before it hit.

Soon after we arrived in Fairhope, we had a quick but delightful visit with Doug and Sarah, who can see our boat from their back deck. They are "sort of" cousins because we shared my much-loved Aunt Virginia. Again, where was my camera? We wanted to stay longer and visit a day or two, but another weather system is on its way. It's no fun crossing Mobile Bay when it is stirred up. Before we left I took a few photos from the boat, just to remind myself how much I love it down here. I'll post them later. I'll miss salt water and coastal living -- until we return to North Carolina anyway.

We plan to anchor out tonight, somewhere between Mobile and Demopolis. There are several possible anchorages, and we'll pick one when the time comes, probably about 50 miles up river from Mobile.

P.S. We made it to the anchorage at Three Rivers, about 12 miles from Jackson, AL, as the crow flies, but longer on the winding Tenn Tom. Larry, our Lat/Long is 31 degrees 17.276' North /87 degrees 57.000' West if that makes sense. We turned off at Mile 64 on the Tenn Tom.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?